Social Media

1st Project for 20-11: Make a Leche Flan

|
I told myself that this year, I would learn how to bake and sew. So, today I did my first project. I made leche flan. This is a very popular dessert in the Philippines. A favorite of most every Filipino friend's I know. If you want to try it too. I posted the recipe below, and attached the link to the website where I got it from. Enjoy! :-)


I got the recipe from HERE

Filipino Leche Flan Recipe



Preparation time: 30 minutes
Estimated cooking time: 1 hour

Leche Flan Ingredients:

  • 1 can (390g) evaporated milk
  • 1 can (390g) condensed milk
  • 10 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or lemon essence
For the caramel:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup water

Leche Flan Cooking Instructions:

  • In a saucepan, mix the sugar & water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelize.
  • Pour the caramelized sugar into aluminum moulds - you can use any shape: oval, round or square. Spread the caramel on the bottom of the moulds.
  • Mix well the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla by hand or blender.
  • Gently pour the mixture on top of the caramel on the aluminum moulds. Fill the moulds to about 1 to  1 1/4 inch thick.
  • Cover moulds individually with aluminum foil.
  • Steam for about 20 minutes (the traditional way to make Leche Flan is by open-air steaming on either an open cooking fire or stove top) OR
  • Bake for about 45 minutes. Before baking the Leche Flan, place the moulds on a larger baking pan half filled with very hot water. Pre-heat oven to about 370 degrees before baking.
  • Let cool then refrigerate.
  • To serve: run a thin knife around the edges of the mould to loosen the Leche Flan. Place a platter on top of the mould and quickly turn upside down to position the golden brown caramel on top.

Cooking Tips:

  • You can tell when the Leche Flan is cooked by inserting a knife -if it comes out clean, it is cooked.

    Sweetened Condensed Milk

    I used 7 yolks, and 2 eggs.

    Got this one from Seafood City, A Filipino Grocery Store here in Las Vegas.

     On one website I saw, use granulated sugar. Oh well, this is what I have in my kitchen...

    7 egg yolks, 2 eggs, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1 can of water, I used the can of milk for measurement.

     Okay, I think this is the part that I didn't do right. I think I should have waited longer for the sugar to turn really brown. I just waited for it to boil then when the sugar and water started to thicken I already stopped there.
    I thought the "browning" process will happen once it starts baking.
    Oh well. I'll try again next time.



    This is what it looked like before I placed it in the oven.


    And the final result?

    Here...


    And this is what it supposed to look like

    From Google Images

    I almost got it, LOL!
But it tasted the same, without that sweet caramel-like part. 
It's still yummy. The next time, My goal is to make it look pretty too, hehe!

So, there's my 1st project: ✔Checked! 


Photobucket
4 comments on "1st Project for 20-11: Make a Leche Flan"
  1. Wow. This is nice. Leche flan is one of my favorite sweets.

    Pahingi po Mommy Lhey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang sexy naman ng cook! Kahit walang caramel basta masarap pwede na. dagdag calorie lang yang caramel. hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a similar project some time ago:

    http://ingleskalabawan.blogspot.com/2006/05/latik.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naku sis! Ingatan ang iPad! Mine took a beating when I was making chocolate truffles - puro tulo ng chocolate ang screen. In fairness, gumagana pa naman ahehehe. Lesson learned - keep the iPad in a safe distance when cooking!

    Love your hair! So sexy!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for stopping by!

xo!
Lhey

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature